BATH YOURSELF IN LOVE
Winter time is an ideal time for immersing ourselves in warm, healing waters… aka bath! Most of us have heard of bath salts, epsom salt, bubble baths… but I invite you to take an herbal bath and receive the gifts of these nourishing and revitalizing herbs while letting the water hold you. Self-care is something we (myself included) could all use a little extra of.
Our skin is an organ of elimination and absorption. You can use any tonic or nourishing herbs that you like when taking a bath. Herbal baths are especially helpful in postpartum recovery after baby is born (recipe to come). This particular recipe I wanted to focus what on is nourishing, revitalizing and heart soothing. A basic nervine blend.
I used equal parts rose, chamomile, plantain, lavender, milky oat tops, lemon balm and nettles. Filling a 1/2 pint mason jar which will make for one to two herbal baths.
You may contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to make a personal order of herbal bath blends if you do not want to make it yourself. They do make wonderful gifts! All are customized to your needs.
Luckily a good portion of the world has heard of Dr. Emoto and the effects of thought, prayers and intentions with water. Water is a sacred reflection of the energy around it. With that said, I encourage mindfulness when working with water, especially when we submerge ourselves. When my mind travels down the rabbit hole, I gently bring myself back to the heart, the breath and gratitude. For it tis the time for nourishing and relaxation, time for the present.
Once you have the blend prepared…
- Bring 3 Qt water to a boil and turn off
- Add herbs (either in muslin bag or loose) & cover
- it is important to cover to keep the volatile oils contained as that is where a lot of the goodness is
- Let infuse for as little as 20 minutes or as long as 4+ hours for maximum extraction
- Strain water from herbs (or take out muslin bag) and squeeze out excess liquid from herbs
- I prefer to use nut milk bag
- Fill bath with regular hot/warm water and pour herbal infused water into bathtub
- Feel free to pour yourself a cup of tea while you are at it!
- Then all you have to do is hop in, relax, breathe and give thanks for the water and herbs that are nourishing your body & spirit!